Team Cylon.js has just returned from a remarkable trip to Makerland in Poland. Billed as a "theme park for makers", the really fun and informative 3 day conference lived up to its name. Held in Warsaw, Poland, at the ultra-modern Copernicus Science Center, Makerland packed in many kinds of robots, 3D printers, drones, submarines, and in our case, popsicle sticks.
We were leading the first major version of our brand new "Think Outside The Bot" workshop, that explores different modalities of human interaction with robotic devices. We used our favorite "minimum viable robot" the Sphero, along with 2 different control surfaces. Over the first 2 afternoons of the conference, we held continuous workshops. It was so popular, that many times we had a line of people waiting for the next opening. Thank you everyone for your patience!
The first workshop activity in the workshop, was each person constructed their own handmade wrist-mounted touch controller. Each workshop participant received a "Makey Button Kit" (inspired by the awesome MakeyMakey) with popsicle sticks, a pipe cleaner, copper foil tape, and high-ohm resistors. Programmed using the "Makey Button" driver, they were able to drive around Spheros by becoming "one with the machine" in a literal sense!
The last day of Makerland was a hackathon, and quite a few teams were using Cylon.js to get things done quickly. One comment we really appreciated from one of the teams, that created a labyrinth game. "We were doing direct Arduino programming, but when we switched to using Cylon.js, we got more done in 40 minutes, then the previous six hours, and even added the Leap Motion controller too." It was really fun to get to help so many people work on their projects, we really enjoyed it.
Thank you so very much to the organizers, speakers, other workshop leaders, sponsors, and most importantly everyone who attended the conference. Hope to see you next year!
- Cylon.js Off And Rolling In 2016
- Cylon.js 1.2.0 - Logging and Timing and BLE! Oh my!
- Cylon.js 1.1.0 - The Big Cleanup
- Hello, Node Bebop Drone
- Cylon.js featured in Wired
- Cylon.js 1.0.0 is here!
- Using Socket.io With The Cylon.js API
- Cylon 0.22.0 - A New Year's Release
- Cylon 0.21.0 is out!
- Creating Multiplatform Precompiled Binaries for Node.js Modules
- Cylon 0.20.0 is out!
- Running Robots From Your Browser With Cylon.js
- Winning the Dreamforce 500 With Cylon.js
- With The New Cylon.js 0.19.0, You Can Be Fluent Too
- Cylon.js on Intel Edison
- Cylon Takes Off on NodeBots Day
- Cylon.js Fun With The Arduino Yun
- Control Robots From Your Pebble
- Making Moves With Intel Galileo
- The Cylon Nest
- Announcing Full Tessel Support!
- Cylon 0.15.0 is Out!
- Cylon.js in Make Magazine!
- Cylon.js At JSConf 2014
- Cylon.js Takes The Stage At MakerFaire
- Cylon.js In Scotland
- Robots Are The New Normal At NextBerlin
- Thingscon - Ich Bin Ein Cylon
- National Robotics Week at the Robotics Society of Southern California
- Functional Robots With Wisp
- Release 0.12 Is For RobotOps
- Making Waves At Makerland
- Tipping SCaLE12X
- Intro Robeaux- A Universal User Interface To Robotic Devices
- ng-robots! A Fun Robot Hackathon At The First ng-conf
- Number 9! The Release In Which We Add A Web UX, More Platforms, and Tools
- Release 0.8.0 Makes 10 Platforms
- RobotsConf Was Remarkable
- Dreamforce Means Connected Devices Are A Thing
- Dreamforce Is Coming!
- Welcome, Cylon.js